POWER RANGERS RETURNS IN 2011 on Nickelodeon! Read the News HERE!

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

MMPR Blue Power Ranger || David Yost Interview

No Pink Spandex which I love their work with their interviews with past Power Rangers did an interview with David Yost who played Billy on Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and Zeo where he talks about the struggle with his sexuality and why he really left the show Power Rangers.

"I walked off set one day during the middle of lunch...I had just made a decision, I've been thinking about it for a good week and the reason that I walked off was because I was called faggot one too many times. I had just heard that several times while working on the show from creators, producers, writers, directors...but continuing to work in an environment like that is really difficult." David was afraid that if he continued on the show, that he'd commit suicide.

David goes on to that he was struggling with who he was and that he was tired of feeling that he wasn't worthy enough. David says that some of his co-stars were called into producers offices where they were questioned about David's sexuality.

After leaving the show, David goes on to say, "...I wanted to get rid of being gay somehow. So I did something they call "pray the gay away" where you believe that God is going to somehow come down and change you and I spent a good 2 years trying to do that." David then begins to tear, "It eventually lead to a nervous breakdown where I had to check into a hospital and try to start re-building my life and starting to accept who I was."

David later goes on to say that if anyone is struggling with their sexuality or who they are they can call the Trevor Project 866-4-U-TREVOR which is a national crisis hotline for LGBT. David goes on to say that he personally was spit on, had food thrown at him and that has had his life threatened.

My thoughts: This is upsetting to me because I've witnessed this first hand. In one of my old schools, there were people who were gay and were harrassed because of who they are. It's upsetting to me to know that producers and writers etc. were apart of this cruel torture. It disgusts me to know that people treated David in this manner and to know that there maybe some people who did this to David are now working on Season 18 of Power Rangers. This really makes me not want to watch the new season. But these are my thoughts and opinions, everyone has them.

Here is Part 3 of the Interview with David. Check out NoPinkSpandex on YouTube to view more. (I do apologize for the small clip.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Posting!